DragonsWeb

Welcome to my blog. Please take a look around and enjoy yourself. I hope my work will give you pleasure and inspiration, but please be kind and don't use any of it as your own.

When you have looked, why not leave me a comment, as I value what followers and visitors have to say.


Then pop over to DragonsDream Tag It On and DragonsDarkerSide

Monday 23 March 2009

InchyByInch Challenge - "Little Jewels" with triple embossing

Hi... welcome to this InchyByInch challenge. I do hope you all enjoy it. Get out your stuff and have a go - it's true alchemy, as far as I am concerned. OOOOO, I am so thrilled!! I have written a tutorial which might help you get started, if you have never done triple embossing before. It seems long but it's just me chattering on!!! Here goes :-


Triple Embossing to make “Little Jewels”

This technique is simple and so effective. if you have some embossing powders, a heat gun, a versamark pad and a stamp, you are in business! Always work on a heatproof surface, as the heated powders get very hot.

For my inchies here, I began with some thick card from Magenta, already cut into inch squares. Woodware do them too, or you can make your own. The thickness is important, so the finished article does not curl up and crack! You can use the backing from those stiffened envelopes you get paper and card products delivered in.

1) Prepare your surface and gather all your elements together, because you will need to be reasonably quick once the powders are heated.

2) Cover your card piece, liberally, with the embossing fluid from the versamark pad, or similar. I do so much of this that I bought a 2 fl oz bottle from Stamp Addicts, by Judikins. It has a dabber on top for application, but it’s not necessary, a pad will do.

3) For my inchies here, I covered the card with black ep and heated. I repeated this 3 times, in order to build up the depth. As each of the first 2 layers is heated, drop it back into the powder. If you are too slow, cover again with the embossing fluid.

4) As you are ready to heat for the third time, ink up your chosen stamp, using your colour of choice, (eg gold) and put it ready to use. Heat your piece until it is smooth, molten and shiny, then take up your stamp and press the image into the hot mixture. It will not damage the stamp! Leave it to set for a short time then remove the stamp. You will have the wonderful, “squigged” (my technical term!!!) image of the stamp indented into the ep. It may overflow the edges or be deeper in some places, that just adds to the magic. You can cut off the edges if you want, when the piece is cooler.

5) Instead of black, you can use any colour ep, or any mixture of colours. You only need them to be molten, in order to impress the image. Just sprinkle various colours on to your heating piece, and they will blend like alchemy!! I have some examples like this on my blog. Run a gold or silver pen round the edges to finish them off neatly.

6) When mine were cool, I brushed different Cosmic Shimmer powders onto them. You can use Perfect Pearls, or other similar mica powders. This technique works best on black ep, I find. I GENTLY reheated the piece to set the shimmers – if you reheat too much, you will melt the indentation away... this is handy if you did not like what you made, because you can stamp it all over again, once you reheat! If you had used gold ink, this will melt into the mix too, and can be SO effective!

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at
Dragon@Dragonsweb.net or on my blog. ENJOY!!!

Here are a few more...


13 comments:

Fiona said...

Thanks Frankie for your gorgeous addition to inchy challenge blog - I'm off for a play!

AliMayes said...

Ooh, these are fantastic and I've already entered the challenge. Needless to say I read your really helpful tutorial after I'd made my inchies but there's always next time!
Ali xx

Beryl K said...

Just beautiful Frankie, and many thanks for the tutorial
Beryl x

Jan said...

These are lovely Frankie - I've done these before and, as you say, they are great fun and very theraputic.

Annie said...

absolutely beautiful Frankie - thanks for the tutorial. I have done this before but ages ago and it's nice to guided through again on how to do it properly.

Ann xxx

Christine said...

Thanks for your tutorial, I only have clear UTE powder so I will have to experiment and see what I can come up with. Have the other bits you mentioned
Hugs
Christine xx

PixieHouse Creations said...

Lovely inchies Frankie,ive not tried making these before but think i will have a go..Not sure if in time for this weeks challenge but i defo have a go.brill tutoriol thanks
Wendy xx

Gez Butterworth said...

WOW! You have inspired me! Thank you for a wonderful tutorial, can't wait to have a go...are you sure it won't damage the stamps??? LOL I have heard of this before but never been brave enough to have a go. Thank you for giving me the nudge! Have a great week. Hopefully I'll have something to show soon. Take care. Gez. x

Hels Sheridan said...

:O)) Gorgeous inchy's hun, now, you have set me a challenge! Not made inkchies so to speak so shall have a little play tomorrow and see what I can come up with! Thanks xx

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the instructions! I will have to try this!

Beryl said...

Your inchies are fabulous and I'm definitely going to have a go at this technique.
Beryl xx

Timaree said...

That's a much better tutorial than I found when I googled the technique. When I get a new heat gun, I'll try this again.

Sally said...

Great technique and I love the end result, they definitely look like jewels! Wonderful work.